The quarantine is upon us, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still have fun indoors! We’re hosting a contest for games that are both playable for all of us in confinement and integrate the use of online/phone platforms (Zoom, phone, etc.) as a medium. Below, you’ll find all the details. We hope that you enjoy this little break from being stuck at home!
RULES AND PRIZE DETAILS
To be elegible games must:
- Not require players to be physically present to participate. Games may use any sort of online chat, phone messaging or audio, or video chat.
- Must not use any materials not readily available to the players e.g. no custom dice or cards. Minimal printouts will be considered but don’t assume players will have printers.
- Must not be longer than 3000 words.
- The theme of game is open, but it should fit within the constraints of the medium (online, phone).
Games will be judged on:
Prizes will include:
- $100 for first place winner
- $50 for second place winners (there will be two second place winners)
Up to 3 winners will be announced (one first place, two second place). The prize money will be the sole payment for physical copies, due to the small physical print run of the game. Winners will each receive 5% in royalties for any digital copies sold for the 12 months from the announcement of the winners (until May 2021). We will stop sales of the game(s) after the 12 months (in May 2021).
Game and a Curry will retain the rights to the game for 12 months from the announcement of the winners. After that, rights return to the winners (anyone submitting who did not win will retain rights to their own work).
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR GAME
Entries can be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send us your name, pronouns and a PDF of your game. Use Quarantine Game as the title for the email (not your game – your game can be titled anything you want).
We will be receiving entries starting April 13th. The deadline for entries is April 30th. Any games sent after April 30th will not be considered for the contest.
WHEN WILL WINNERS BE ANNOUNCED?
Winners will be announced May 10th. We will make an announcement on Facebook and Twitter, but we will also be emailing winners individually, along with all those who have participated.
The judges are:
- Banana Chan
- Herb Ferman
- Kristin Devine
- Austin Knight
- Gerrit Reininghaus
Judges will have two rounds of reading. They will not be play testing each and every game. The first round consists of finding the games that best fit the criteria listed above. After that, judges will choose the three winners from the finalists.